Member Brad D has loaned us his Mill and Lathe. Come learn from him on tips and tricks he’s learned from working with them in the past.
RSVP here: Learn about the Mill and Lathe
* Note: This event is primarily for MidsouthMakers’ Members (keyholders). If you are not a member and would like a tour of the space, we have open house events every Friday night at 7pm. If you would like to make arrangements to tour the space outside of an open house, please contact info@MidsouthMakers.org
If you’ve been following Midsouth Makers you know that we’ve been building. using and tweaking our 3D printers for a while now. Well thanks to a kind donation by LulzBot we now have a dedicated 3D printer at the space for member use! The printer is an AO-101, a MendelMax 1.5 variant.
The AO-101 currently uses 3mm filament and can print in ABS, PLA, Nylon and even Laywoo-D3 wooden filament. We have it setup to allow for remote printing on the LAN, using either OctoPrint or Repetier-Server. We recommend Repetier-Server due to it’s stability.
The AO-101 will be using a donated a 1U server as the host computer. Repetier-Server will allow you to load a gcode file and control the printer. We will be exploring webcam functionality for use in monitoring and in generating time-lapse print videos.
We will need the following items to get our new 3D printer setup and functional:
- Filament- Currently setup for 3mm:
- Webcam- Logitech C110 or C270 preferred (we’ve already tested and confirmed stability)
- 120mm silent PC case fan
- Build Area – 190mm 200mm 100mm
- Hot-end – Budaschnozzle 1.2
- Extrusion temperature range – 180C – 240C
- Filament- Currently setup for 3mm and can reliably print the following material types:
- Taulman 618 Nylon
- Laywoo-D3 Wooden Filament
- Heated Print Bed (65C-110C)
- Borosilicate Glass Bed with PET film on one side for printing with ABS and bare glass on the other side for printing with PLA
- Integrated Filament Mount for either loose coiled filament or spindles for spooled filament
Current AO-101 Modifications
- Nozzle Fan for printing in PLA installed but not hooked up
- RGB LED lighting (white for now)
More information on the new 3D printer can be found in our wiki.
If you’d like to use it, please contact Claudio, Ben, Dan or Cliff- more information will follow. In order to have access to the 3D printer without one of us present you will need to have had verified prior experience with a RepRap 3D printer, or attended an upcoming class on running & troubleshooting 3D printers(TBD) or be able to demonstrate the appropriate knowledge.
Please show our thanks and appreciation to LulzBot and the RepRap community!
Games List: Team Fortress 2, Left For Dead 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, UT3, Monday Night Combat, Super Monday Night Combat, Diablo 3, StarCraft 2, DOTA2, Minecraft
BYOB, we will provide some sort of food for a nominal fee. More details coming.
RSVP here: http://events.midsouthmakers.org/events/100324002/
Where: MidsouthMakers (map)
Run Time: 2 hours with break for lunch at noon.
Cost: $10 per participant
Prerequisites: It is recommended that you bring a computer or laptop with Blender, Gimp and Inkscape installed on your machine. See provide links to acquire the software.
Target Audience: Those with little or no experience with 3D modeling or rendering, or no experience with Blender.
Expectations: This class will provide information and experience to lessen the learning curve for using Blender and give an introduction to the capabilities of Blender. 3D modeling, animation and rendering principles will be covered in the simplest of terms.
Disclaimer: This class will not cover all aspects of every feature or clever use for blender. It will not teach advanced modeling techniques. It will not go into the history of Blender which can be read well in other places on the internet. This class will not give you talent.
- User Interface for V2.65
- Hot Keys!
- Object Primitives
- Mesh and Curve objects
- Materials and textures
- Editing objects
- Lighting and rendering
- Simple object animation
http://www.blender.org/ get v2.65
http://www.inkscape.org/ get 0.48.x (whatever version works for you)
http://www.gimp.org/ get 2.8.x (if you have Photoshop and want to use that, it’s ok but just know the example work is using gimp.)
On each website you will find software or links to the software for most every platform the software is available for.
Because time will be tight, having this loaded and running on your machine will be greatly appreciated.
The best way to stay on top of where and when we are meeting us by joining our meetup.com group. Just visit http://events.midsouthmakers.org and sign up for a free meetup.com account and join the MidsouthMakers group. You’ll get weekly reminders of where and when our meetings are, plus upcoming classes and events. You can also select to not get the weekly emails if you don’t want meetup.com cluttering your inbox.