MidsouthMakers is featured on the cover of the October 17th Memphis Flyer. Claudio is on the cover flying his Quadcopter
If you’ve been following Midsouth Makers you know that we’ve been building. using and tweaking our 3D printers for a while now. Well thanks to a kind donation by LulzBot we now have a dedicated 3D printer at the space for member use! The printer is an AO-101, a MendelMax 1.5 variant.
The AO-101 currently uses 3mm filament and can print in ABS, PLA, Nylon and even Laywoo-D3 wooden filament. We have it setup to allow for remote printing on the LAN, using either OctoPrint or Repetier-Server. We recommend Repetier-Server due to it’s stability.
The AO-101 will be using a donated a 1U server as the host computer. Repetier-Server will allow you to load a gcode file and control the printer. We will be exploring webcam functionality for use in monitoring and in generating time-lapse print videos.
We will need the following items to get our new 3D printer setup and functional:
- Filament- Currently setup for 3mm:
- Webcam- Logitech C110 or C270 preferred (we’ve already tested and confirmed stability)
- 120mm silent PC case fan
- Build Area – 190mm 200mm 100mm
- Hot-end – Budaschnozzle 1.2
- Extrusion temperature range – 180C – 240C
- Filament- Currently setup for 3mm and can reliably print the following material types:
- Taulman 618 Nylon
- Laywoo-D3 Wooden Filament
- Heated Print Bed (65C-110C)
- Borosilicate Glass Bed with PET film on one side for printing with ABS and bare glass on the other side for printing with PLA
- Integrated Filament Mount for either loose coiled filament or spindles for spooled filament
Current AO-101 Modifications
- Nozzle Fan for printing in PLA installed but not hooked up
- RGB LED lighting (white for now)
More information on the new 3D printer can be found in our wiki.
If you’d like to use it, please contact Claudio, Ben, Dan or Cliff- more information will follow. In order to have access to the 3D printer without one of us present you will need to have had verified prior experience with a RepRap 3D printer, or attended an upcoming class on running & troubleshooting 3D printers(TBD) or be able to demonstrate the appropriate knowledge.
Please show our thanks and appreciation to LulzBot and the RepRap community!
Here are a couple of videos Dru made to show off the progress of his bubble bot.
- Tonight @ 7pm is our #CodeMonkeys Meeting. Tonight’s topic is on Github. Here’s the plan for tonight
- Non-Members are welcome.
- Tomorrow night 9/7 – Meeting @ Republic Coffee 7pm. (As always, non-members welcome)
- Thanks to Brandon, we picked up 42 Pentium 4 computers, and a very nice SAN and Server rack.
- We’ll be working to go through the 42 Desktops so we can inventory the hardware.
- We’ll definetely need help working on the machines, we’ll let everyone know when we plan on working on them.
- The goal for the PCs is to set a few aside for group use and then possibly sell (cheaply) the rest with proceeds going to the Laser Cutter Fund.
- There is a leak by the back door, we had to pull up the carpet, we’ve got the landlord involved and currently waiting to hear back from him.
- We have some new members and a couple of pending new members. If you haven’t been to a meeting in a while, come see the new faces.
- Claudio has started a thread on the email list for those wanting RaspberryPi cases printed on the 3d printers for donations to the laser cutter fund.
- Rachel is prepping info to do a class on Stained Glass.
- We have bought a storage rack and The Artsy & Crafty among the group have begun plans for storing and sharing various arts and crafts supplies at the space.
- Ben is going to pickup the storage rack today so it should be at the space for anyone who would like to go put it together.