If you’ve been following Midsouth Makers you know that we’ve been building. using and tweaking our 3D printers for a while now. Well thanks to a kind donation by LulzBot we now have a dedicated 3D printer at the space for member use! The printer is an AO-101, a MendelMax 1.5 variant.
The AO-101 currently uses 3mm filament and can print in ABS, PLA, Nylon and even Laywoo-D3 wooden filament. We have it setup to allow for remote printing on the LAN, using either OctoPrint or Repetier-Server. We recommend Repetier-Server due to it’s stability.
The AO-101 will be using a donated a 1U server as the host computer. Repetier-Server will allow you to load a gcode file and control the printer. We will be exploring webcam functionality for use in monitoring and in generating time-lapse print videos.
We will need the following items to get our new 3D printer setup and functional:
- Filament- Currently setup for 3mm:
- Webcam- Logitech C110 or C270 preferred (we’ve already tested and confirmed stability)
- 120mm silent PC case fan
- Build Area – 190mm 200mm 100mm
- Hot-end – Budaschnozzle 1.2
- Extrusion temperature range – 180C – 240C
- Filament- Currently setup for 3mm and can reliably print the following material types:
- Taulman 618 Nylon
- Laywoo-D3 Wooden Filament
- Heated Print Bed (65C-110C)
- Borosilicate Glass Bed with PET film on one side for printing with ABS and bare glass on the other side for printing with PLA
- Integrated Filament Mount for either loose coiled filament or spindles for spooled filament
Current AO-101 Modifications
- Nozzle Fan for printing in PLA installed but not hooked up
- RGB LED lighting (white for now)
More information on the new 3D printer can be found in our wiki.
If you’d like to use it, please contact Claudio, Ben, Dan or Cliff- more information will follow. In order to have access to the 3D printer without one of us present you will need to have had verified prior experience with a RepRap 3D printer, or attended an upcoming class on running & troubleshooting 3D printers(TBD) or be able to demonstrate the appropriate knowledge.
Please show our thanks and appreciation to LulzBot and the RepRap community!