Tag: Memphis hackerspace
We are slowly and painfully making progress with learning to fly our 3D Printed Mini Quadcopters. Cliff has helped us out with some tweaks & balances. Hopefully some more members will be interested in building their own, and will help add to the swarm.
Kara Ferguson and Jenny Oldenburg will be explaining Artist Trading Cards and their various uses. Participants will learn what works and best practices when creating ATCs. Participants will create their own ATCs to keep or exchange with other participants.
When: January 20th 1pm
What: Artist Trading Card Workshop
Cost: $10 per person Sign up Here
Class size: Limit of 6 people
- 1- pack of 20 Strathmore 300 Series Smooth Bristol ATC paper
- 1- assorted pack of 12 Strathmore ATC papers
- access to paintbrushes (nothing fancy–you may opt to bring your own for applying glue or using paints)
- access to various crafting supplies including decorative paper (and newsprint ads), acrylic paints, pastels, fabric, color pencils, and more.
- soft sleeves to hold your finished ATCs
- a good pair of scissors
- tweezers (good for working with small bits of paper)
- If you have a preferred crafting/art medium that you’re already comfortable working in (watercolor, pen&ink, etc) you should consider bringing some of those supplies for your own use
- found objects to use and share (you want things that are relatively flat like smashed pennies, wire, string, ads, newsprint, labels, lightweight printed cardboard, watch gears, tissue papers, wrapping paper, etc.)
If this first workshop goes well we will set more dates in the future.
We’re going to do a focused cleanup day at the space this Sunday April 10th starting around 10 AM. Feel free to come when you can; we’ll be working till about 5pm or so depending on how much we get accomplished. Bring your work gloves as we’ll be primarily focused on the shop to make some more room for projects and more work area. We want to make visible progress, not attempt to clean an entire mountain. We want to open up the shop area a bit better so that we (and the landlord) have more room to work. We have set goals that we want to complete on Sunday so that we can focus everyone’s efforts. That being said, if you have projects you’re storing / working on in the shop, you may want to make sure any tools or such are put up before Sunday. I know some of you have projects you all are working on, I just don’t want to have to move something that shouldn’t be moved.
Our main goals:
- reorder and reorganize the mezzanine, specifically the right hand half of it
- move enough stuff out of the way to get the metal rack over on that side against the wall
- order and organize the wood that’s on the floor there utilizing the rack and space created on the mezzanine
This doesn’t sound like much, but it’s a lot to do so we’re definitely going to be using everyone that can show up to help. These three things should keep us pretty busy all day.
This Friday Feb 11th 7pm @ the space come check out what we’ve been working on with 3d printers. We’ll have 3 Mendel printers in various stages of assembly. Come by and ask questions, hang out, and see the progress. Dan and Claudio will be working on early stages of assembly and Sonny will be working on later stages of assembly of his Mendel. Nick’s Makerbot will also be at the space to show off differences between it and the Mendels.
If 3d Printers aren’t your thing then feel free to ask for a tour around the space. Our Friday meetings are open to the public. Come by and see what we’re all about and of course, feel free to sign up for a membership!
We’ve leased a space at 2203 Freemont Rd! We’ll be handing out keys to all paid members at the 12/17 Friday meeting at Republic Coffee. Google Maps: 2203 Freemont Rd. Memphis, TN 38114. If you are not yet a full member you can become one by paying dues for December. We’ll be discussing our initial move in plans at the meeting on Friday, we look forward to seeing you there.
The LAN party last Saturday was a great success, thanks to everyone that was involved in setup / clean up and a special thanks to our host, Jeff Leath and our very own Kevin Dunn for some really tasty chilli. Thanks to everyone that showed up even if you didn’t play, was great to see everyone.